Voyage Online Today: 0    Total Posts: 2565

Total:#6

Create Thread

[Guides] [FAQ] Common technical problems

Close [Copy link] 5/3716

Posted on 2015-05-30 09:42:25 | Show thread starter's posts only

[FAQ] Common technical problems

Basic information

This guide contains frequently asked technical questions about the game.
PLEASE NOTE THAT PERFORMING SOME OF THESE ANSWERS WITHOUT KNOWLEDGE MAY CAUSE YOUR COMPUTER TO MALFUNCTION, NOT START, OR EVEN DAMAGE THE HARDWARE. MAKE SURE THAT YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING! IF YOU DO NOT HAVE TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, FIND SOMEONE WHO DOES!
WE WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE YOU MAY CAUSE BY FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE. USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Signature

Navigator, tools, guides and much more!
Visit us at: http://thepiratescove.org
Posted on 2015-05-30 10:08:33 | Show thread starter's posts only

General FAQ

Q: What are the minimum and recommended requirements to play the game?
The official game requirements are as follows: (taken from: http://vc.igg.com/download/client.php).

Minimum system requirementsRecommended system requirements
- Intel Pentium III 500MHz or equivalent processor
- NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX400 video card
- 512 MB RAM
- 10GB free hard disk space
- Intel Pentium IV 2GHz processor
- NVIDIA GeForce 9500 video card
- 1 GB RAM
- 40GB free hard disk space

Although these requirements were not updated since alpha version. We received several patches since then and from our personal experience, the recommended requirements should now be the minimum requirements.

Specifications below will run up to 10 clients without any significant frame drop on a resolution of 1680x1050.

Recommended system requirements for running multiple clients
- Intel i5 4x3.2GHz
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750
- 8GB RAM

In general, VCO is CPU and RAM heavy. A good CPU is required to keep the game running without frame drops.

Q: Can I play Voyage Century on a 64 bit operating system, e.g., Windows 7 64 bit?
Yes you can. Voyage Century is a 32 bit game, but 64 bit systems are designed to be backwards compatible with 32 bit applications. That means you can run 32 bit applications on 64 bit operating systems but you cannot run 64 bit applications on 32 bit operating systems.

Q: On which Windows versions can I play Voyage Century?
Voyage Century will run on all Windows versions (e.g. Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10). Unfortunately, some players have experienced issues on Windows Vista and Windows 8, but there are solutions for most of them.

Q: Can I play Voyage Century on Linux based operating systems?
Not directly. Voyage Century is created exclusively for Windows operating systems. However there are a couple of Windows emulators / virtual machines for Linux based operating systems which will allow you to run Voyage Century trough them. Some of them are:
- Wine: https://www.winehq.org
- VM VirtualBox: https://www.virtualbox.org
- VMware: http://www.vmware.com

Unfortunately we don't have a detailed guide on how to setup these.

Signature

Posted on 2015-05-30 16:46:02 | Show thread starter's posts only

Black screen issues

Q: When I click start game from the launcher, a black minimized screen appears at the center of the monitor (takes about 50% of it). It hangs like that forever. This is not a multi-client issue, I am trying to run only 1 game. Why does it happen and how do I fix that?
This could be caused by the game failing to load the intro animation. At the start of the game, a small movie file is shown with IGG's logo in it. If your system is missing the right codec required to read the file, the black screen will stay forever. This can be fixed by completely removing the movie file. The file is located at "..\Voyage Century Online\voyage\logo.mpg". Deleting this file has no side effects.

Q: When I'm switching between clients (ALT+TAB) they suddenly turn black. The interface is still shown, but everything around me goes black. This does not happen in all scenes. Why does it happen and how do I fix that?
The problem appears when desktop resolution gets refreshed. Every time a fullscreen application is run it makes a resolution refresh. Switching between fullscreen applications will cause a resolution refresh as well. For some reason when that happens, the game drops all lightning effects in certain scenes like mausoleum, guild hall etc. This is most likely a programming issue and there's nothing we can do about it. It has to be fixed by game developers, Snail Games. As a temporal solution, you can try to change scene e.g. pass trough portal from dock to city. Changing scenes will force the game to reload lightning effects, but soon as you switch between clients again, the lightning effects will be dropped.

Best thing to do would be to avoid resolution refresh. This can be achieved by forcing the game to run in windowed mode. Running the game in windowed mode will prevent resolution refresh when switching between clients and that will prevent the dropping of lighting effects.
More details on how to set the game to run in windowed mode can be found here:
- Screen Resolution; Full Screen, Windowed mode, Setting the Resolution/ Screen Size: http://vc.forum.igg.com/topic?ctid=38090

However, other applications might trigger resolution refresh as well. This usually happens when another game is opened in fullscreen mode. The way to handle this, is to set that particular application to run in windowed mode. If that's not possible, then you could try minimizing vco and keeping it like that until you close the other application. This method is not guaranteed to work.

On some occasions, even if you are running the game in windowed mode, when you're exiting one vco client, it may perform a resolution refresh. We still didn't find a way to solve that.

Q: Whenever I try to run another client on Windows Vista, I get the black screen. I'll run the first client and log in. Then I'll try to run the second one and it'll run and everything, but when I try and go back to the other client, its a black screen. Is there a reason for this? What can I do to fix it? Is there something I have to do to my computer to be able to run two clients at once? I know some people who can run three at once.
Most likely this is an issue with User Account Control which forces a resolution refresh.
There is a simple solution for this. Start one client and wait until Start button appears. Now open another client and wait until the Start button appears. Now click the Start button on first client, then click the Start button on second client. You will be able to play on multiple accounts this way, just make sure you use ALT+TAB when switching between them. Minimizing them might cause them to go black again as minimize function will force you out of the fullscreen and it will perform a resolution refresh.

Q: After playing the game for a while, my computer crashes. All I see is a black screen but it keeps running, I can hear vents spinning. None of my commands are responding and I have to manually use the reset button to restart the computer. Why does it happen and how do I fix that?
There could be many possible causes for this problem. This is most likely not related to Voyage Century.

This sounds like an overheating problem. If one of the components reaches critical temperature, the computer will automatically shuts down itself to prevent permanent damage to the system. Most common overheating issues come from processors or graphic cards. Those components mostly overheat when there is poor airflow inside the computer case. There could also be a ventilator malfunction. Sometimes there isn't enough of thermal paste for proper heat transfer between processor and heatsink. The first step is to identify the operating temperatures of your components. These can usually be found on manufacturer websites. Each component has a different set of operating temperatures. Once you find these, its time to find your current temperatures. This can be done by using any software with sensor reading capabilities. Some of these are:
- Aida64: http://www.aida64.com
- Speedfan: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
- CoreTemp: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp

Once you identified which component is overheating, its time to find the cause. This can usually be done by opening the computer case and diagnosing the problem physically. If you are not familiar with computer hardware its best to call an expert.

Besides overheating, this problem could also be caused by poor power supply, malfunctioned component e.g. RAM, CPU, motherboard... Unfortunately, these do not fall under our domain so we cannot provide you further assistance. For these kind of problems its best to seek an advice from an expert to avoid further damage.

Signature

Posted on 2015-05-30 20:10:20 | Show thread starter's posts only

Crash to desktop (CTD) issues

Q: Sometimes my game completely shuts down. This could happen anywhere, anytime. Why does it happen and how do I fix that?
This is a well known issue. Its called crash to desktop or shortly CTD. Its been here since alpha version. It mostly happens on laptops or PC's with integrated graphic cards. Although there could be many possible causes for this. We will explore a couple of possible solutions here. Please note that they might not work, as every system is unique and we cannot tell for sure what's causing the game to crash.

Solution A
If the problem is being caused by incompatible drivers you could try to update your graphic, sound and motherboard drivers to the latest versions. Also try to update DirectX to the latest version your graphic card supports.

Solution B
If the problem is being caused by multi core processor, you could try to limit the game execution on only one core. This can be done by opening task manager (CTRL + ALT + DEL), clicking on processes tab, right clicking on a process called Core.exe (that's the game you're currently running) and then clicking on Set affinity. You can pick only one core and uncheck others. Process affinity is dynamic, it cannot be set permanently unless there is a program option or it is hard coded in the program so you will have to set it up every time you run the game.

Solution C
If the problem is being caused by multiple disk partitions, you could try to install the game on your system partition (most likely C:) in Program Files folder (Program Files (x86) if you're using 64 bit operating system).

Solution D
If the problem is being caused by font rendering, you could try to replace the font. The game is using some custom Chinese font to display the in game text. You could try to change the font to something more stable like Arial, Calibri, Times New Roman etc.
More information on how to change the ingame font can be found here: *no-link-available*

Solution E
If the problem is being caused by incompatible sound card, you could try to delete all of the sounds in game. Delete everything from the sound folder. The folder is located at: ..\Voyage Century Online\voyage\resource\sound. Please do not delete the folder itself, as it will cause the game to crash. Instead, just delete the .wav and .ogg files inside it. This could potentially reduce the amount of crashes drastically, if not eliminate them at all. Please note that after performing this, your game will not have any sound all! The only way to get the sound back is by reinstalling the game!

Solution F
Please note that this solution only works on older computers which still use AGP graphic cards. This solution will cause a drastic performance drop and its highly not recommended!

It seems there's a glitch in DirectX8 code that will cause a CTD on the system that has AGP bus set at 8X and AGP Fastwrite enabled in the bios. To fix this you need to go into your bios, set the AGP bus at 4X and set the Fastwrite feature to disabled. I, intentionally, will not write how to perform this in details because if you do not know how to enter bios yourself, you shouldn't even be doing this. PLEASE NOTE THAT ALTERING BIOS SETTINGS WITHOUT KNOWLEDGE MAY CAUSE YOUR COMPUTER TO MALFUNCTION, NOT START, OR EVEN DAMAGE THE HARDWARE. MAKE SURE THAT YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

General problem and solution
This not really a solution, but a useful tip. VCO has a memory leak problem, which means whenever it loads something from the hard drive into RAM, it will not release it back, even if its no longer used. This means that the more scenes it loads in game, the bigger portion of RAM it will use. After a certain point, when RAM gets full, the game might crash unexpectedly. This is a serious issue on low end PC's or laptops. So a good thing to do would be to restart the game manually after every hour or even less. This way, RAM will never be completely full and the game wont crash unexpectedly. You will be the one in control. A good rule of thumb would be to restart the client before starting a new instance. This way it would only have to load the files for that specific instance.

Signature

Posted on 2015-06-05 18:08:29 | Show thread starter's posts only

Game running slow

Q: My game is running slow. I get very low FPS when I'm playing. Why does it happen and how do I fix that?
This is a well known issue. Its been here since alpha version. It mostly happens on low performance laptops or PC's. Although there could be many possible causes for this. We will explore a couple of possible solutions here. Please note that they might not work, as every system is unique and we cannot tell for sure what's causing this problem.

Solution A
If the problem is being caused by incompatible drivers you could try to update your graphic, sound and motherboard drivers to the latest versions. Also try to update DirectX to the latest version your graphic card supports.

Solution B
If the problem is being caused by multi core processor, you could try to limit the game execution on only one core. This can be done by opening task manager (CTRL + ALT + DEL), clicking on processes tab, right clicking on a process called Core.exe (that's the game you're currently running) and then clicking on Set affinity. You can pick only one core and uncheck others. Process affinity is dynamic, it cannot be set permanently unless there is a program option or it is hard coded in the program so you will have to set it up every time you run the game.

Signature

Posted on 2015-06-05 18:27:34 | Show thread starter's posts only

Cannot connect to version verifying server

Q: When I open voyagecentury.exe after a few seconds I'm getting a "Cannot connect to version verifying server" error. Why does it happen and how do I fix it?
This is a common issue. This error appears when the game isn't able to connect to the server. There could be many possible causes for this. We will explore a couple of possible solutions here. Please note that they might not work, as every system is unique and we cannot tell for sure what's causing this problem.

Solution A
Pick a different FTP server. This can be done by clicking on "Update settings". There are three different servers. Try each one. If none of them work, move to the next solution.

Solution B
Its possible that the Windows firewall is blocking the connection to VCO server. This can be easily solved by adding VCO to firewall exception list. More information on how to add VCO to firewall exception list can be found here: *link-is-not-available*

Solution C
The game might not have the privileges to install updates. Try running the game as administrator by right clicking the VCO icon and selecting "Run as administrator".

Solution D
The game might not have the privileges to write files even if its ran with administrator privileges. Try to reinstall the game outside "Program files" folder. Preferably to some other partition or disk.

Solution E
FTP connection might have been disabled on your network. Please talk about it with your network administrator or ISP.

Signature