Voyage Online Today: 8    Total Posts: 93005

Total:#4

Create Thread

[Discussion] VCO won't run in any virtual box environment

[Copy link] 3/235

Posted on 2019-08-31 02:01:59 | Show thread starter's posts only

Hi there guys and girls! After two days of trying my best I thought I would open a post to ask for help.

Summary:

- The problem that I have is the fact that VCO won't run in virtual box environment

- Until now I tried VirtualBox / VMware and VMware Pro and as resources for this machines, from 4 GB RAM to 8 GB RAM and from 256 MB VRAM to 3 GB VRAM, and from 1 CPU to 4 CPU's.

- As for the Operating Systems I've tried: Windows XP, two distributions of Windows 7 and Windows 10 Pro.

- If I run dxdiag on this virual systems I get DirectX 9 / 10 / 11 / 12 and DirectDraw Acceleration / Direct3D Acceleration and AGP Texture Acceleration, all Enabled. 

- I have putted VCO in 'Allow Program Through Firewall' list and when I run it, I do it with Administrative Rights.

- I've tried different resolutions / different servers for VCO, I've tried to tweak all kinds of things but with no success.

- Also, what is frustrating is the fact that I found on this forum a post that says that VCO 'CAN RUN' with VirtualBox software and VMware. 

The Errors that I get are the following:

- Unable to play game due to incompatible client resources
- Unable to play due to game compatibility issues

Thank you for your time! :D

Signature
Posted on 2019-08-31 11:59:56 | Show thread starter's posts only

Well in the past, you definitely could run VCO on virtual boxes. I never personally tried it, but I know people who did. Whether one of the patches messed up something I am unsure.

VCO runs on DirectX8, its possible that for some weird reason DirectX9 and higher is not backwards compatible with DirectX8 games, even though it should be.

Are you running Linux and trying to emulate Windows to play the game? If so, you can try Wine.

We have a guide how to setup VCO on Linux using Wine, although its an old guide, it might not work, but worth a shot. You can check it out here:

Running Voyage Century on linux using Wine - Guide

Signature

Navigator, tools, guides and much more!
Visit us at: http://thepiratescove.org
Posted on 2019-09-04 03:29:45 | Show thread starter's posts only

Thanks DSofa for your answer! 

- I tried also to run it from Linux with Wine following the guide you provided but it gives me the same error. It could be the fact that they changed something in some newer patch and it no longer works anymore.
- I know that VCO uses DirectX 8.1 but all the new versions of DirectX are backward compatible with old ones. That's why on my main PC I can run VCO with DirectX 12.

- I also opened a support ticket for this issue and I received an answer that should embarrass them:
"We do apologize for the wait. Regarding your doubt, we suggest you inquiry some other people in the game or on our forum for further discussion."

- I followed up with the ticket and I said to them that I need a technical suggestion not a general advice to ask all the VCO players of all time, thing that I already did here and on our Discord Channel. I'm still waiting for a more appropriate answer from them.

- In the mean time thank you again for your answer and if anyone else knows something regarding this issue of VCO running on virtual environments please let me know.

Take care guys and girls! :)

Signature
Posted on 2019-09-04 13:56:31 | Show thread starter's posts only

That support answer pretty much means that they have not the slightest idea nor will they let anyone spend the time to mess around with a non windows environment to figure out the problem of one player.

maybe some security program is corrupting or blocking core.exe... ( I want to say that has happened in the past)...

or maybe just partition your hard drive and install windows and install and run vco as admin? (because you know if it doesn't work that way something IS blocking or corrupting it).

edit*
for instance; I know Kaspersky has not been compatible with VCO in the past.

and no I don't know anything about Linux... but I dont want you leave you waiting for an answer that will never come.

- Ele

Signature