Voyage Online Today: 0    Total Posts: 96568

Total:#7

Create Thread

[Discussion] Is anyone else lagging?

[Copy link] 6/3385

Posted on 2014-02-25 12:31:24 | Show thread starter's posts only

I just started up my client and got into the game this morning and when I try to go from one place to another, it is choppy at best. If I stand still, others around me who are running are choppy looking. Last night I could run and it would be smooth, today I run and it is like going point A point B point C point D where I disappear between each point and appear at the new point.

Has anyone else got this or has it happened before and someone knows how to fix it?

made the title a little more descriptive
-Sele

[ Last edited by seleniummc at 2014-2-25 15:52 ]

Signature
Posted on 2014-02-25 13:34:06 | Show thread starter's posts only

Here is a video to show what is happening in my game after last night's maintenance.

[flash]http://www.youtube.com/v/ot_9uHbFSdI?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]

Signature
Posted on 2014-02-25 13:47:18 | Show thread starter's posts only

Oh that is horrid lag! I haven't logged in yet to see if my game is that bad.

Signature
Posted on 2014-02-25 16:59:27 | Show thread starter's posts only

Okay, I fixed it but what a pain in the backside.

I think it was caused because I was logged in when they shut down the servers for maintenance. This is good for proof at what might happen if you do not log out in time.

I tried each step one at a time and singularly they did not work. But if you follow the steps below line for line, you should notice a considerable improvement.

Here is what I did:

1.) Uninstall the game completely
2.) bring up a command prompt and type ipconfig /flushdns
3.) Next in the command window type ipconfig /releasedns (You will lose your internet here)
4.) The in the command window type ipconfig /flushdns a few more times just to clean it all out.
5.) Make sure you do not have a bunch of host strings added to your hosts file. You can located the file in your system32 folder (if using windows)
6.) once you have finished the above steps, shut down your PC and restart it.
7.) No go to the website and download a fresh copy of the game & also one of the Login Patches.
8.) Install the game and then the patch, then start up VCO again.

If you follow these steps, your lag in game should be less. I have noticed a considerable difference. You will still have some lag, but that is server side and you can't control that. All you can do is pray that when they do a maintenance, the clear out the cache and flush their dns too....

Hope it helps.

Signature
Posted on 2014-02-25 21:35:49 | Show thread starter's posts only

not being a computer geek I had to look up what DNS is...

so here it is for us non geeks:
An often-used analogy to explain the Domain Name System is that it serves as the phone book for the Internet by translating human-friendly computer hostnames into IP addresses. For example, the domain name www.example.com translates to the addresses 93.184.216.119 (IPv4) and 2606:2800:220:6d:26bf:1447:1097:aa7 (IPv6). Unlike a phone book, the DNS can be quickly updated, allowing a service's location on the network to change without affecting the end users, who continue to use the same host name. Users take advantage of this when they use meaningful Uniform Resource Locators (URLs), and e-mail addresses without having to know how the computer actually locates the services.

ok so ... again I tell people...
just use Ccleaner ( or a similar program)  its free...  ok you do need to tick the box for dns clean up...  but it helps keep your computer running smoothly by removing a lot of stuff in caches etc..

When you play VC  you pretty much should be using Ccleaner daily anyway.

- Ele

Signature
Posted on 2014-02-26 01:08:22 | Show thread starter's posts only

Use Ccleaner? ARE YOU NUTS?

Last time I used CCleaner, (about 3 years ago), it wiped two whole hard drives of mine (there were four hard drives on the computer), and I lost valuable data that I'd not backed up. (There was over 300Gb of data lost). To this day I have never been able to work out exactly what happened. A friend of mine had a similar experience with it, though not to the same extent. Ive been wary of such programs ever since. When it cmes to cleaning I do it the long way around (manually). There is many tech support websites which can teach you how to clean your caches, temp folders and other things which bog down your system.

One thing that you should be very wary of in regards to programs like Ccleaner which supposedly clean your system is, it can not process if a file is used by more then one program. So if it decides that thisdllfile.dll is not used and deletes it, and a program on your system or even the system itself requires that dll file, you are screwed. Even when they claim they make backups, do not completely trust them. Especially when you deal with "free" cleaners like the ccleaner.

Just a warning from someone who used to praise them and use them daily only to find out that irreversible damage had already been done.

Signature
Posted on 2014-02-26 09:38:30 | Show thread starter's posts only

ok  I suppose everyone has problems every now and then.
I am thinking C cleaner is not set up for 4 hard drives on a computer.... its for the regular consumer who have only 1.
As I look at my copy of Ccleaner it is set up only to detect 1 hard drive and it is c:  it can be set to detect up to 3 externals  G, H and I  but thats it. (free version)
so , yes if you have any other hard drives or use D as your main drive.... you probably need the paid version (IDK never paid)??  or some other program.

I have been using c cleaner almost daily for about 2-3 years.
But I do not check any more boxes that what is automatically showing...

and I have never had any problems.

but I also keep a back up external hard drive... as probably everyone should...  but back ups just not needed as much as much as they use to be 10+ yrs ago... so people have gotten complacent.

- Ele

[ Last edited by xanthian31 at 2014-2-26 06:45 ]

Signature